Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:54:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.corserv.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSDi acquisition of Telenet

Is anyone concerned about the impact of BSDi's acquisition of Telenet
systems?  Ordinarily, I doubt it would matter, but taken in conjunction
with the merger of BSDi and Walnut Creek, one wonders if hardware
manufacturers such as Dell, Micron, etc. will be as willing to provide
FreeBSD Inc. with sample/development hardware.

I guess from Kirk's standpoint at BSDi, I can't blame him.  BSDi was
trying to sell BSD/OS and Internet Super Server for umpteen thousand
dollars when FreeBSD is essentially free and supports more hardware
with an incredible hardware expansion program going on.  BSDi may feel
that the only way they can make money and stay viable is to start selling
hardware.  But the merger between Walnut Creek and BSDi is still puzzling.
Jordan and friends at FreeBSD Inc. would, I hope, reject any interference
in licensing or distribution attempts made by BSDi.  After all, FreeBSD
is composed of multiple independant developers who could easily move from
Walnut Creek's CVS servers and distribution (as evidenced by NetBSD) if
forced to.

Am I the only one wondering about this?  Maybe someone higher up in the
BSD kingdom and familiar with the politics can illuminate the merger and
acquisition.

Kevin Lyons

-
/.sigs take up bandwidth