Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:46:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        knu@iDaemons.org (Akinori MUSHA)
Cc:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG (Maxim Sobolev), audit@FreeBSD.ORG, green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian F. Feldman), mike@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Barcroft), ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding -P option to pkg_delete(1)

> At Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:39:24 +0300,
> sobomax wrote:
> > >
> > > It's okay, but why don't you just try to read the patch in which the
> > > purpose of the feature is *explicitly* written?
> >
> > Well, perhaps you misread my question. I meant "what the code in question
> > is expected to be used for?", not "what the code in question does?". Also
>
> I don't differentiate the two, or three.  All your questions above
> sounds pointless to me.  What are you implying actually?

Ok, let me put it differently - I just do not see any reasonable use for
the new option. What the user would gain by removing all package content
except of shared libraries? We couldn't reasonably gurantee that package
will work after such partial removal, so I suppose that we are just asking
ourselves a trouble in the form on increased number of PRs "hey, I
pkg_delete'd -P libfoo-1.0, and bar-2.0 stopped working." Also such
partial removal will screw our dependency system - LIB_DEPENDS will
detect shared library, but at the same time all headers of the package
will be missed.

> > idea to hardcode regex (two of them actually) into an utility doesn't
> > looks very solid to me, instead I would like to see it be specificable
> > (or at least overrideable) from the command line, i.e.:
> >
> > # pkg_delete -P ^.\*foo.bar foo-0.0
> > (don't delete files which end with `foo.bar').
>
> Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid it would be superfluous, I mean you
> might be doing YAGNI[*], since I don't see why we need this extension
> as much as we just need to preserve shared libraries.
>
> I suggest you explain the expected use of it, that is, what for
> example you want to preserve other than old shared libraries.

Just a bit of generalisation, forget it if you don't like it.

-Maxim