Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:31:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/15135: new port: devel/cervisia

On 29-Nov-99 David O'Brien wrote:
> I guess I'm not so agaist it as I was.  I was asked if I thought a MFC
> for 3.3 was reasonable.  I said no.  My real concern is that parts of the
> kernel and userland had to be tweaked when I brought in EGCS.  I don't
> know what those changes were at this point.  So it is more effort than
> just a MFC for the compiler.

I agree totally with you on this point.

>> the earliest version (that I know of) which supports the newer ANSI ISO C++
>> standards. That is, the new standard apparently not supported by the
>> older gcc.
>
> I'm confused why the `egcs' port can't be used in -STABLE.  That ports
> gives you GCC 2.95.2, with many of the FreeBSD specific changes.

I didn't say it can't be used. See below.

>> > If such a change does happen, it may also be worth considering
>> > synchronising
>> > it with a move to USE_NEWGCC for the GNOME metaport
>
> I personally see this as the best approach, and one that doesn't really
> cause any problems.

Right. The problem here is that the KDE and Qt port maintainers seem reluctant
to put the switch in the kdelibs11 and qt142 ports so that those ports will be
compiled using the newer g++.. required for certain aforementioned apps.

I think the sooner, the better. Oh well if people have to recompile their
libraries with NEWGCC, right? :-)

The reason I asked about MFC'ing egcs 1.1.2 is because it would eliminate the
need to have USE_NEWGCC in the ports system. Of course, that is the _only_
reason I asked. And quite frankly, I don't like the idea myself.

People, let's move on, upgrade those ports! What more convincing evidence do we
need?

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>