Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 00:24:16 +0200 (EET)
From:      Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, cwalker@computech-ca.com, Cosmic 665 <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On 09-Mar-00 Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday,  8 March 2000 at 19:40:55 -0800, Cosmic 665 wrote:
>> as well as a book like "Unix Secrets" and "Uinx in a Nutshell".
>
> Really my book isn't for people learning UNIX, it's for people who
> have some idea of UNIX who want to learn to use FreeBSD.  So Caleb's
> idea is, at least in theory, a good one.
>
> The real question is: what's a good book for learning UNIX?  There
> were none when I learnt UNIX, but one book I rather like is "UNIX for
> the Impatient" by Abrahams and Larson (Addison Wesley).  I'd be
> interested in feedback from real newbies who have started out with
> this book, because it will help me decide whether to continue
> recommending it.
>
> Greg

I decided to add an opinion in this conversation:
You don't need any books to learn unix(or in this case, freebsd). At least
I didn't. I don't say I'd master it, but I can set up a FreeBSD machine to be a
firewall and a gateway. And such things. I started with a printed version of the
handbook, and set up fbsd 2.2.5, two years ago. that was my first experience
with unix. since that, i haven't bought any books, mainly because of their
prices. -around 100$. like I didn't find better things to spend my money on :)

All the info I have needed, I've found from the handbook, faq, manpages,
infofiles, mailing list archives and finally, if everything else has failed,
I've asked a question on a list. It might be faster to learn unix by reading a
book, but I've found and find it more fun to battle hours or days with a single
problem (for example, how to set up userppp) and then, finally, after several
misconfigurations, find the right one. It's much more satisfying.

And afterall, it's very important to learn how to use the on-line documentation,
since the books are never up-to-date, at least not in every detail.

Jukka Simila