Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2012 20:19:44 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPC DRM graphics testing

On 11/04/12 21:29, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> On 05.11.12 04:12, matt wrote:
>> So I've been plagued by issues on my rv250...the gpu is locking up at
>> times and resulting in a backtrace that seems to indicate the card is no
>> longer responding (drmCommandNone hangs on drmIoctl hangs on ioctl). At
>> this point, I'm not sure if I have bad hardware, something is wrong with
>> mesa for rv250, or something is wrong with drm. I unfortunately only
>> have one PowerPC machine with a radeon card, so I'd love to see if
>> anyone else has had any luck with similar configs (G4 tower with radeon
>> AGP card).
>>
>> If anyone has a working radeon with DRM on powerpc, could you post
>> glxinfo | fgrep 'render' (if you can get mesa-demos to compile...it's a
>> chore). And/or results trying to run a 3d app like minetest, glxgears,
>> whatever uses DRI would be really helpful in ruling out both my hardware
>> and the drm code. I don't want to dig into the mesa mess unless I'm sure
>> that's where the problem lies.¨
> Both on a G5 in 32-bit mode. And mesa-demos are 'working'.
>
> Radeon 9600:
> direct rendering: Yes
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV350 4152) 20090101  TCL
>

> Radeon 9800:
> direct rendering: Yes
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (R350 4E48) 20090101  TCL
>
> Andreas

Thanks, it makes me think AGP is fine on powerpc, and that it's probably
my hardware or a mesa bug...I have seen a lot of historical discussion
of the locking scheme in the r200 drivers, and it makes me wonder if
that and/or smp are to blame. Apparently drmCommandNone is one of the
few times drm actually waits for the card, so many different bugs that
crash the gpu will appear with a similar back trace ending in
drmCommandNone calling ioctl.

Matt