Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 01:30:47 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "Arthur H. Johnson II" <arthur@tucows.com>
Cc:        "Craig C. Brunner(CCB)" <craigb@powernet.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Doesnt detect my modem...

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 02:25:27PM -0400, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
> Its probably hiding on cuaa2.  Try recompiling with cuaa2 and 3 enabled in
> your kernel.  If it is an internal modem it is not cuaa1, but windows does
> this boneheaded thing where it reassigns com3 to com2 if com2 does not
> exist.

Unless things have changed in 3.2 you don't need to re-compile the
kernel. sio0 - sio4 are all built into GENERIC it's just that sio2
& 3 are disabled. They can be enabled via ``boot -c''. My modem is
on sio2 (cuaa2) and works just fine with GENERIC as long as I enable
sio2.

> Arthur H. Johnson II
> http://www.linuxberg.com
> Linuxberg Manager
> arthur@tucows.com
>
> On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Craig C. Brunner(CCB) wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >    FreeBSD wont detect my modem for some reason..... It is NOT a winmodem, but it does work in windows now.. its exactly the same modem that i had in my system before I upgraded with a new board and cpu... when i did that i had to format my hdds, and now i reinstalled freebsd and it cannot find the modem.. windows finds it and tells me its on com2 and irq5.. so it should be sio1 or cuaa1... but when i boot it says like sio1 is not configured irq5 not in seletected bitmap range ... or something close to that, Ive changed the irq ports in the gewneric kernel and recompiled quite a few times.. and it still doesnt find it. I cant do anything in freebsd without my modem, Is there a way to see if windows is telling me that its useing a different irq in freebsd than in windows? Please respond, sorry  for the jarbled unclear message hehe, im in a hurry.
> >                                                                                     Thanks,
> >                                                                     Craig C Brunner(CCB)
> >                                                                         craigb@powernet.net

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.