Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:37:09 +0400
From:      "admin" <admin@azuni.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.8: can't load kernel after doing "cp -R /" to another disk

Hello, everyone. This is the problem: our SCSI disk with FreeBSD 4.8 on it
has been failing recently, so I copied its root partition to a fresh IDE
disk with cp -pR and tried to boot from that. Unfortunately, loader gives me
this:
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'
and offers prompt.

I tried almost any combination of the loader command (like
0:ad0(0,a)/boot/loader) but still the same. The kernels are right there:
/kernel and /kernel.old. Can't the root partition be copied this way? Should
their location on disk be hardcoded somewhere? Please help me with
bootblocks etc. as I'm desperately running out of time.