Date:      14 Nov 2001 16:27:21 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@molemanarmy.com>
To:        budsz <budsan02@bdg.centrin.net.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wavelan FreeBSD

budsz <budsan02@bdg.centrin.net.id> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been planning to install wireless in FreeBSD box (which is very
> expensive in Indonesia), but i still confuse about which wavelan card
> that is supported in FreeBSD. and which one is the best/ most
> appropriate in FreeBSD. and what is the difference between lucent gold or
> silver.

I have a Lucent Orinoco Silver and it works fine. The one piece of
advice I was given was if you are using a desktop, get an ISA PCMCIA
converter, NOT a PCI one.

The main difference (that I know of) between the Silver and the Gold
is encryption levels. Silver uses 40bit and Gold uses 128 (I
think!). I wouldn't worry too much about encryption as WEP has largely
been broken. Rather go for the 40bit solution and implement a VPN for
your wireless comms between your machine and your gateway.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
freebsd@molemanarmy.com          | But always cheat!
http://www.molemanarmy.com       |