Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:07:23 +0200
From:      Peter BLOK <pblok@bsd4all.org>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Signal quality/strength of FreeBSD hostap vs. commercial products

Hi,

I am trying to build a FreeBSD wireless router for a while and I noticed
that the signal strength is always substantial lower compared to common
available wireless routers.

At first I thought it was due to the wireless card I used, but I have tried
several different ones and several different antennas, but it doesn=B9t come
close to common routers.

Strangely enough when I started to use an adhoc connection, the signal
strength reported was as good as a common router.

For clients I have used different cards as well as Windoze and MACOSX.

Setting of txpower doesn=B9t do anything.

Any explanations?

Peter