Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 17:39:05 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Old does *not* mean dead!

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Jason wrote:
> I have a rash of older equipment here and wanted to know how compatible
> 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 is with older hardware and how well it will run if at all.  I
> have a rash of 386 boards with 2-16 megs of ram.  Will FreeBSD be of any use
> for on these sort of machines?  I already decided that the 286s won't work
> and need to hit the dump  :)

I am writing this on a 386SX/16, with one of those old 4mb
"static-column" RAM boards (you remember, the $2,500.00 job!:)

This machine, and 6 others just like it are being used here as
subnet routers just fine.  Of course, they are on so-called
"archive" subnets (i.e., SLOW!!!).  I wouldnt want to have these
turkeys anywhere near a regular (or living) user, but they were
headed for the trash, and we decided to "see if they would load".
For what they are doing, they have saved us a *bundle* of $$$!

We also have a couple of 386/33's with 10MB of the old Static-Col
stuff acting as routers on "live" (/28) subnets: no problems.

Although I am told that 2.2.5-R needs more than 4mb to load, I have
*not* seen it - every one of the SX's were ok at 4mb.

BTW: all these boxes are running IDE 170mb drives (we got a case
of em *cheap*), so I don't know if MFM will cut it.  Thats most
likely gonna be your choke point.

Hope this helps!
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org