Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:15:41 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Phil <phil@amdg.etowns.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AHCI timeouts - 8.1-PRERELEASE

Hi.

Phil wrote:
> Is it expected behaviour that ahci performs a time-out during boot, even
> though camcontrol indicates success?  This is on 8.1-PRERELEASE csup'ed
> today.
>
> I've enclosed  dmesg, camcontrol and pciconf information.  The timeout is
> approximately 12 to 14 seconds for each connected disk-drive.  If I
> run with only usb devices, there are no timeouts.  The following
> dmesg is when I connect two HDD's on a VIA SN18000 motherboard, and
> the BIOS has ahci selected, i.e. not IDE nor RAID.
>
> # pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 ahci
> ahci0@pci0:0:15:0:      class=0x010601 card=0x62871106 chip=0x62871106
> rev=0x20 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
>     device     = 'VT8251 AHCI Controller'
>     class      = mass storage
>     subclass   = SATA

It seems like timeout during Port Multiplier probe. I don't have such
chip to test it, but I can see that Linux disables PMP and NCQ support
for it. You may try it in different combinations by adding to respective
line in device list in the beginning of the ahci.c quirks AHCI_Q_NOPMP
and AHCI_Q_NONCQ. Instead of AHCI_Q_NONCQ (if it is needed for you) you
may try to set AHCI_Q_EDGEIS. Report me please about the result.

--
Alexander Motin