Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:37:19 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Zoltan Sebestyen <sebesty@cs.elte.hu>
Subject:   Re: AWEDRV for FreeBSD & Linux

Zoltan Sebestyen:
 | I've discovered a site, where there's kernel driver that gives Creative
 |Labs Sound Blaster 32 and AWE32 owners EMU-8000 support on FreeBSD and
 |Linux. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good(I mean, that this
 |driver exists).

If this is the one you found:

     http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/midi.html

yeah, it is a nice driver.  Really spices up those MIDIs!

Ignore the ooold 0.2.99c FreeBSD link on the page and pull the 0.4.0 driver
and utils.

I did the original FreeBSD port and have updated it and the utility
programs periodically so they'll continue to work on FreeBSD.  The last
non-GPLed version of the AWE driver is checked into the FreeBSD 2.2 and 3.0
kernel trees, so to update to the latest AWE driver, just drop in the 3
driver source files from the URL and build a new kernel.  There's a README
that describes everything in the package.

Then build AWESFX to load your patch files (the SBKs or SF2s your card came
with) and AWEMIDI to play MIDIs.  Both available off the URL above.

Let me know if you have any questions/problems and I'll be glad to help.

Randall Hopper