Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:10:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        root@root (Neil Bradley)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with Hitachi ATAPI CDROM drive

hasn't Neil Bradley said ? ...

> I've added in the wcd0 device into my system's configuration file, did a sh
> MAKEDEV for the device, and after the system reboots, dmesg tells me:
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a>, removable, iordy
> wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked
>
> When I try any mount command on the unit, such as:
>
> mount /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
> or
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
> or
> mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
>
> I get:
>
> /dev/wcd0c on /cdrom: Device not configured
>
> I've tried both FreeBSD 2.1 live file system and installation CDROMs. I do
> have a directory called /cdrom and am logged in as root when I attempt these
> commands. I've read FAQ after FAQ and none of the suggestions have helped.
> Any suggestions? I'm running FreeBSD-2.1-stable. Thanks!

... and you also have 'options "ATAPI"' in your config file ?

                                                   __||
  Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
  longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
  is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
                                   __||
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de