Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:00:02 -0500
From:      "jogegabsd" <jogegabsd@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unable to map IO port / Driver Boot Loader / New Ideas

Hello all, I'm trying to make sound work in 4.5-RELEASE.
I add in my Kernel:

device pcm

and recompile as the handbook says.

In the dmesg I get the following

[...]
pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)> irq 5 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: unable to map IO port space
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
[...]

Someone on the list advice me to turn off the "Plug and Play" option in my
BIOS.
Now I check my BIOS and its very simplified with just main, boot and exit
menus and not the Plug and Play option

Marcus Clarck(thanks) from this list advice:

> I have a similar type BIOS on my Dell 8100.  I had the same problem, but
> it was fixed with the -stable maestro3 driver loaded from the boot
> loader.  Sounds works great now.

I really don't know what he means by loaded from the boot loader, he means
from rc.conf?

In general what do you think I can do in order to make sound work?
Any ideas are welcome.

thanks in advance

Gerardo Amaya