Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:46:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, winter@jurai.net, chuckr@mat.net, wayne@crb-web.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

Julian Elischer wrote:

 > On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
 > > one thing that HAS to happen is the fast that some devices CAN'T "appeare"
 > > until the devfsd says it can, unless we force a very restrictive permision
 > > on all devices (600 or something similar) otherwise we will have security
 > > wholes up the wazoo... don't forget about this... a devfsd daemon is
 > > definately the way to go...
 >
 > While I sharply disagree, with your assertion, I also point out that if
 > you make such a all-singing-all-dancing devfsd, then you might as well get
 > rid of devfs entirely, and just have devfsd make the devices using normal
 > mknod commands.

Hmm - rip out the whole devfs infrastructure and replace it with something
which writes tuples of (operation, devname, major, minor) to a socket
somewhere, where "operation" is "create", "delete", "online", "offline",
etc.  Why worry about the complexities of a vfs to handle /dev in the
kernel when almost all of it can be done in userland?

[ Heh.  *now* there'll be some wailing and gnashing of teeth... :-) ]

   - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999