Date:      Sat, 22 May 2010 23:21:35 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Users and groups kept after a port deinstallation
References:  <AANLkTindTvyrfPRj_cGWUC3LXWI63bGN5azaXo_xYRVu@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikNB0LbKG1qtL90F-thxeCvvSqnBxOCCDSucVS6@mail.gmail.com> <20100522005313.26dcfbdb@gumby.homeunix.com> <AANLkTim9NqCGi_iPMuoivw0z2bzEXHkt39VPk6c7aHyt@mail.gmail.com> <4BF787E2.9010907@dataix.net> <20100522120815.063975ae@gumby.homeunix.com> <4BF7C6EE.3010001@dataix.net> <20100522134212.3d5447a8@gumby.homeunix.com> <4BF7FB7D.1010501@dataix.net> <20100522235425.1ab2c504@gumby.homeunix.com> <86aarr8q0m.fsf@gmail.com> <20100523021135.7e5dbb4f@gumby.homeunix.com>

On 05/22/2010 21:11, RW wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010 03:39:53 +0400
> Anonymous <swell.k@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> Why is it best practice? Why add extra complexity to solve a problem
>>> that doesn't actually exist?
>>
>> Such unused entries in passwd add clutter. It in turn makes managing
>> users more complex. You have to remember which users are created by
>> you and which ones are created by ports.
>
> You don't have to remember, just look at the UID/GID values, ordinary
> users start at 1001, ports create UIDs < 1000.
>
> The base system alone creates 18 such users, if you have problems with
> this kind of thing a few stale uids are the least of your problems.
>
>> So, if you change home dir
>> of some user there may be undesireble consequences. And only then
>> security becomes a concern because port app may be run with
>> privilegies that are higher than intended.
>
> This appears to refer to an admin confusing a normal user with a
> system user that's still in use by a port, so I don't see the
> relevance.

You being the originator of the thread called "Users and groups kept
after a port deinstallation" which implies to me that you had a problem
with users left behind on a system am I correct ?

If so then why do you keep insisting on arguing a point that says you
really do not care about left-overs on your system ?

If you really do not care about them after suggestions have been made in
either point that would help with the above subject line then what is
the original intention of your email ? why did you even write it ?

Here is some additional reading that might spark your interests in
removing them or maybe not. http://tinyurl.com/36ww9k2

PS: SANSFIRE is coming to Baltimore, MD in June. R U Signed ^?

--

 jhell