Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:38:53 -0500
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@freebsd.org>
To:        Ben Hacker Jr <strbenjr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        list DC-FBSD <fug-washdc@Sytex.Net>, questions FBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fug-washdc How to build a (Ext. JetDirect like) PrntSrvr

Ben Hacker Jr wrote:

> How can I make an old 486 into a Network Printer
> server??
>
>  I would like to be able to print to a printer
> connected to this PC from a windows 9x or NT
> client located elsewhere on the LAN.
>
>  Do I have to install Samba to share the printer
> or can I build a simple printer server some other
> way??

Interestingly enough, I'm doing this *exact* thing as I type.  I've got
an old 486-75 that I'm converting into a print and file server for my
network.

Here's what I do:
1) Install Samba on machine (as Vicki said).
2) Install Netatalk-ASUN (if you have any Macs on the network)
3) Install APSFilter (which will convert the files you send it to the
appropriate format for your printer.  This installs GhostScript (a
PostScript interpreter).  If you have a PostScript printer, (lucky you),
you don't need GhostScript.  GhostScript works with many, if not all,
printer driver formats these days.
4) Configure APSFilter and make it work.  Follow it's instructions.
It's easy.  Test print to see if it works.
5) Configure Samba and Netatalk to share the printer.  (This is a How-To
in itself)
6) Set up printers on your clients.  I typically use Apple Laserwriter
II-NT as the "printer driver" on both Windows and Macs.  It's an
excellent driver that outputs standard Postscript.  On Windows clients,
you'll need to browse the network neighborhood, and find the printer.
On Macs, go to the Chooser, and choose the Laserwriter 8 driver.  It
should see your printer.

If you have any problems, just holler and I'll try to help.

Patrick