Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:49:05 -0900 (AKST)
From:      Dustin Andrews <dustin@infoinsights.com>
To:        Andrew Heath <drew@bluetongue.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory Leak??? Apache, CGI, can't spawn child process

--0-630462094-891597746=:1028

<please forgive me if you feel I should not have posted this answer back
to the lists>

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Andrew Heath wrote:

}Dear Questions....
}
}I am at a loss to explain my problem, I have tried almost everything I can
}think of with our configuration, and I am running into major problems.
}
}We run a webserver which supports about 50 clients, and uses alot of CGI
}developed scripts as a back end.
}
[snippage]

Hold it right there. Before you blame the OS or the web server I would
look into these scripts. I have seen one script, that seemed to be written
fine, crash a similar system. If your scripts are in C then I would
suspect one of them to be the culprit of the memory leak.

Here is a way to test my hypothesis. Turn off half the scripts. See if
that helps. If it does not turn them back on and turn off the other half.
If one of theses steps works, then just keep halving the number of scripts
you are running till you find the culprit.

It could be a combination of scripts causing the problems or more than one
may be causing the exact same problem. If so the 'half' approach might not
find it. Also your customers might gripe less if you turn them off one at
a time, but this is way more tedious.

Look closely at any scripts that fork a lot of processes. Look at the
child code to make sure it is cleaning itself up well when it dies. I will
bet you a Henry Weinharts Root Beer that it's a script with leak in the
children or child creation process.

You could be having an OS or web server related problem, however I am
running a similar system at an ISP with a reasonable number of scripts and
it is robust and stable.

Good luck solving your problem.
--
Dustin Andrews, 907  452-2461 -- Email: dustin@infoinsights.com