Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 13:17:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        Steve Shah <sshah@clickarray.com>, Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF vs. promiscuous mode

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Bah!  I'm giving you the no fun network administrator badge.  NATing might
> > help in the short-term, but it also breaks stuff like ICQ/video games/etc,
>
> 	I have yet to have problems with FreeBSD's NAT working with ICQ or
> 	games.  Which games are you talking about?

ICQ starts out ok, but due to their server jumping around the destination
port it uses for the udp channel to the client, people behind nat become
inaccessable to others and don't see status updates of others after a few
minutes of being connected.

The tcp ports used for direct connections can be told to be outgoing only
by telling ICQ you're behind a firewall, but then two people behind
firewalls can't establish direct connections.  While you could manually
setup specific tcp ports, ICQ still won't allow communication between two
firewalled clients (an error on their part, IMHO - they probably didn't
consider such setups as common.)

I know age of empires won't work through nat whatsoever, and since
starcraft uses port 6112 (udp) as source for all packets, I'm under the
impression that NAT would quickly get confused if multiple people from
behind the same NAT gateway were playing in the same game, or if you
wanted to host a game.

Don't get me wrong, I love NAT, it's great for home networks and certainly
for businesses (where you'd have none of the above traffic), but you're
going to just have a large, screaming mass of students if you try it at a
school, I suspect.

Next on fox: When silby uses too many commas and not enough periods.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack