Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:36:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named errors

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Studded wrote:

> Wm Brian McCane wrote:
> >
> > I am getting the following message (and many similar to it) in my log files.
> >
> > sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on maxbaud.net?
>
> 	NXDOMAIN is generally returned by a nameserver when it thinks it should
> be authoritative for a domain but it has no records. It's not related to
> reverse mapping, but it does indicate a fairly serious problem. As of
> serial number 98031201 you seem to have things straightened out, so
> hopefully you found the error.
I am not still sure what was wrong.  I updated the file on my main DNS
server, and did a restart on this machine (a secondary), and it did not
fix the problem.  So I killed 'named', rm'd the secondary file in
/etc/namedb and then restarted 'named'.  *PooF* it is all working.

> 	One error that you SHOULD change is that your main MX record points to
> a CNAME (mail.maxbaud.net). This is an absolute violation of the RFC's
> and some mailers on the internet will not be able to send you mail
> because of the error. The simple solution is to change the CNAME record
> for mail to an A record and give it the same IP as maxbaud.net.
I will fix this later this afternoon.  I was not aware that I could not
do it that way, thanks for the heads up.  Of course, a much bigger
problem at this point is that my upstream feed has not registed my
IN-ADDR.ARPA with MCI yet, so my Reverse DNS is still not working (can
you tell I am frustrated?).  I get a lot more mail problems from that
than from an invalid CNAME I am sure.

> Good luck,
>
> Doug

Have fun,