Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:39:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Beitzel <sbeitzel@foobie.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on a VAIO

I have been running a FreeBSD server for quite some time now, using it as a
router for my home network. Recently, I bought a Sony VAIO to do work on and
have tried to set it up as a dual-boot machine: Linux and FreeBSD. I've
encountered some difficulties (and some remarkably easy parts, too, that I'd
be happy to comment at length on in a different forum -- send me email if
you're interested) and I wanted to ask the user base at large to see if
anyone else has figured this stuff out.

    1) Boot manager conflicts
    2) Sound doesn't work (for either OS)
    3) PCMCIA network card not recognized (FreeBSD only)

Details:
    1) I installed FreeBSD first (since the Red Hat installer's disk partition
utility couldn't make a BSD partition) and split the drive in half - half
for Linux and half for BSD. At the end of the relatively smooth installation
(off the 3.2 CD-ROM) I turned around and installed Linux without installing
LILO. Then I tried booting the computer. It'd boot to FreeBSD no problem, but
not to Linux. Then I tried reinstalling Linux and installed LILO; this
overwrote the FreeBSD boot manager and on top of that, it wouldn't recognize
the BSD partition as being bootable. Grr. So now I've got this great laptop
that I really want to be using BSD on but that I also need to be able to run
Linux on (for work) and it seems I can't get the two to play nice with each
other. Does anyone have experience with doing this sort of thing?

    2) This is a new-ish VAIO (PCG-F250, to be precise) and I suspect that
Sony has done something funky with the sound card so that it'll only work with
the custom Windows 98 OS that the machine shipped with. Does anybody know of
any patches for that? (F'rinstance -- between 6.0 and 6.1 Red Hat managed to
fix the DHCP client so that it'd work with an NT DHCP server.)

    3) I've got a D-Link DFE-650 PCMCIA ethernet card. Linux manages to detect
it alright, but I didn't see it in the list of supported cards in the 3.2
installer. Subsequently, I haven't been back in to rebuild the FreeBSD kernel
since I haven't been able to boot back to FreeBSD (see 1). Does anyone know
if this card is supported by FreeBSD?

Thanks for any help anyone may offer...

Steve