Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:17:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Raja Velu <raja@micronetusa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Port re-direction using NAT/IPFW

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Raja Velu wrote:

> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > We have a FreeBSD 4.4 setup running IPFW/NAT. We host web sites for
> > > several domains using Apache's virtual domain feature. We use Apache
> > > 1.3.20.
> > >
> > > One of our customers has web content that includes Microsoft's ASP
> > > pages, for which we need to host them on a Windows server. We have a
> > > Windows 2000 Server behind our firewall, which can probably do the
> > > hosting.
> > >
> > > My question is this: Can I re-direct requests for this
> > particular site
> > > alone to the Windows 2000 box sitting inside and continue to service
> > > requests for other web sites from the FreeBSD box? I know it's
> > > probably possible to do this if the site we're hosting on the Win2k
> > > server uses a port other than 80. Is that the only option though?
> > >

> > 	Not unless it is on a different port (not 80) or has a different
> > 	public IP in which you can translate.  Although, there may be a
> > 	way through apache to handle something like
> > this...maybe with the
> > 	ReWrite Engine or some other facility.
>

> I think I'll take your first suggestion. So, if I use a different
> public IP, I guess I'll have to run 2 instances of NAT. Can I do this
> using a virtual IP as my second public IP or do I have to put another
> network card in my box? I tried running a second instance of NAT on my
> virtual public IP and it came back with this error:

	You should be able to just buy another IP from your upstream
	provider and bind it as an alias using ifconfig (with the same
	network card).

	You also don't need a second natd running.  Just setup the
	redirect statement and all should be well.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets