Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 05:19:57 +0200 (EET)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Baris Simsek <simsek@hitit.bimel.com.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Turkish support

Hi,

  The most important part is setting your locale languale by setting the
LANG environment variable, for example in your .profile:

  LANG=tr_TR.ISO_8859-9 ; export LANG

 Another way to do that is adding this in your .login_conf:

me:\
	:charset=iso-8859-8:\
	:lang=tr_TR.ISO_8859-9:

 For the FreeBSD syscon console: use sysinstall or vidfont to select the
ISO-8859-9 Turkish console font (take care, there is only the 8x16 font,
so you won't be able to use the 80x30/80x43/80x50/80x60 text modes). Then
you should select the "Turkish ISO-8859-9" keyboard mapping through
kbdmap or sysinstall (take care for kbdmap/vidfont changes the console
font on startup, so you should launch kbdmap then vidfont).

 For X: you should look for fonts with iso-8859-9 encoding and install
them in your X fonts directories.

 Ady (@warpnet.ro)
| Programming in BASIC causes brain damage.                           |
|   (Edsger Wybe Dijkstra)                                            |