Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:59:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Bob Bridgham <bob@netacc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MBUFS

Question,

	I just had a server go un-responsive, and when I log'd into it, I
tried to ping other local servers, and got an out of buffer cache.  So I
then tried killing the mail daemon on that server (200 procs total down to
70) and I still got nothing.  I tried un-plugging the network for a while.
I did an netstat -an to see if there were lots of syn connections for a
syn attack and that was not the case.  I also did a netstat -m to see mem
usage and I was using about 1300 mbufs in use, and i have set : options
"NMBCLUSTERS=2048" in my kernel.  Is there any way to more thoroughly
detect someone eating up the server, and is there any way to free up the
buffer cache?  Maybe reduce a tcp timeout or something like that?

					Bob Bridgham
					Systems Administration Manager
					NetAccess Inc.
					Phone : (716) 756-5500