Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:59:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
To:        xcllnt@mac.com
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, gordon@tetlows.org
Subject:   Re: Re: On errno

   <[2]xcllnt@mac.com>
   &= gt;> wrote:
   >> Oh, and yes: I have been thinking about localiza= tion of the
   kernel.
   >> While I don't see this to be urgent or crit= ical to FreeBSD
   itself,
   >> I can see a "market" for it.
   >>= ;
   >> This is an interesting discussion in light of the recent arti= cle
   >> about the "Ugly American Programmer." Basically it says t= hat
   >> programmers all understand English (or we can basically e= xpect
   them
   >> to), so as long as the information is for programm= ers
   (user/kernel
   >> barrier qualifies in my mind), is it hugely = important?
   >
   >Errors are never for programmers. They are for pr= ograms or users.
   >Programs work less well on strings, especially when= those strings
   >are "designed" to be printed and thus targeted toward= s users.
   >Interpretation of such error messages is just painful. On t= op of
   >that, the user may want a localized message.
   >
   >Wh= en arguments in the discussion on i18n or l10n focus on the
   >develope= r, the argument is flawed by definition and pretty much
   >useless. Onl= y when users are considered in such discussions will
   >you have a mean= ingful discussion.
   There are two kinds of error messages: some are m= ore important for
   the
   users, some for developers. The system messages te= nd to be more
   important
   for developers. The messages in the end-user app= lications may be
   more
   importants for the users. Also, if the users are n= ot particularly
   computer-literate,
   even the translated messages look lik= e gibberish to them. On the
   other hand,
   for teh support people it's easi= er to deal with the original
   messages.
   For the developers, the trans= lated messages are a major pain. What
   if someone
   reports about a bug in = your program and attaches its log messages in
   a foreign language?
   I've h= ad to deal with such situations. You see some message in
   Spanish and get no=
   idea, what does it mean. Search through the translated messages, find
   i= t there,
   find how it maps to the English message. Sometimes the funny ch=
   aracters get
   cut along the way, so searching becomes more complicated. A= nd things
   get
   even worse with more strange languages like Japanese or Ru= ssian.
   -SB