Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 08:25:29 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with the automatic links

--Sr1nOIr3CvdE5hEN

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:42:53PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:20:51PM +0200, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> >
> > Using &man.foo.bar; inside <question> has intresting side effects for t=
he
> > TOCs:
> > [...]
> >=20
> > Solution: Like I said earler: Well, don't do that. The neccessary patch=
es
> > are already in my version of the FAQ and will be committed "soon".
>=20
> Don't commit them.  Dima's been working on some changes to the
> stylesheets that will allow the link-generating code to know whether or
> not it's in the middle of another link, and act accordingly.

Sorry, but I got your messages some time after committing the last round of
markup changes.  If neccessary, I'll revert the changes to the questions
but I'd prefer to leave them in the FAQ

> > The second problem is somewhat tricky: We have several entities for
> > programs found in the ports collection. Using them results in a link of
> > this form:
> >=20
> > [...]
>=20
> Looking at the various content models, <citerefentry> supports a
> "vendor" attribute, which might be appropriate (actually, so does
> <refentrytitle> and <manvolnum>).

I *really* need my own electronic copy of the Docbook book...
=20
> So the user would write;
>=20
>    <citerefentry vendor=3D"XFree86">
>      <refentrytitle>X</refentrytitle>
>      <manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
>    </citerefentry>
>=20
> and we have to come up with a list of recognised vendors.

Sounds good.
=20
> Here's a proof of concept implementation (I've got a load of cruft in my
> local freebsd.dsl, so these are cut-n-paste, not patches).

[patches snipped]

That seems to be exactly what I dreamed of. I'll give them a spin after
work...

/s/Udo (has to torture some Sun boxes)
--=20
Enjoy the beauty and power of root