Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:26:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        wayneclubin@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About the sources

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Do tarballs exist of the source trees? If not then why
>not? I think it would be convenient to be able to ftp
>a tarball of the source tree of say 4.4_release,
>unroll it and compile it. The same for stable and

The distribution files *are* tarballs, albeit chopped up into
floppy-sized pieces.  Go to
$ftpmirror:/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/src and have a look
at "install.sh".

>current maybe, but for sure it would be convenient for
>the release versions. This way the person does not
>have to fuss with cvs and cvsup config files etc
>etc....

Cvsup is dead simple, and an incredibly easy way to keep your source
tree up to date.  This way the person does not have to fuss with
ftp, tarballs, temporary storage etc etc ... :-)

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com