Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:09:14 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk copying

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Schultz" <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To: <ertank@softhome.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 12:44 AM

> Are the disks the same size/geometry?  If so:
>
> dd if=/dev/olddisk of=/dev/newdisk bs=32k

Can "dd" also be used to copy to/fro my RAID disks (40G), to a single 40G
disk? The latter is of a different brand, but has the same size. In other
words: how identical does the geometry need to be?

If I can use dd here, I think I will use dd to create a "core" system; and
then use additional dumps to backup individual slices.

Thanks!

- Mark