Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:56:50 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Fredrik Lindberg <fli@shapeshifter.se>
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox network patches for FreeBSD (vboxnetflt + vboxnetadp)

> It supports PXE. However the OSE version of VirtualBox does only have
> PXE booting on the PCnet interfaces not the Intel ones.
> Also, if you're going to boot a FreeBSD kernel you'll need to patch
> the etherboot code in virtualbox, otherwise it will abort with
> "Unable to load file".

i just tried, the pxeboot is loaded, but then it starts complaining:
	132.65.16.80 is not in my arp table!

this is the nfs server, which is differnet from the tftp server.
the error seems to come from the pxe code?

> I don't know whether it's FreeBSDs pxeboot or etherboot that is the
> offender here.
>
> See, for more info
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2007-April/003503.html
>

> Throughput is not something I have actively looked at, there might be
> something that can be optimized regarding mbuf to SG-convertion.
> One source is most likely due to its dependency on the netgraph
> system which causes an additional packet detour.
> It uses netgraph because it's the only reliable way to hook
> into the input/output path of ethernet interfaces, and
> that also works properly on FreeBSD 7 and higher.
>
> Fredrik

I'll try and install vbox on an apple server, which is connected at 1g,
and see what speeds i get there, maybe that will shed some light.

cheers,
	danny