Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 12:26:51 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Xfree or FreeBSD setting problem?

Recently I installed Xfree and then KDE. It worked for a few days and
then yesterday Xfree stopped working for any user other than root.

After searching archives/FAQ I found a note on running "X -probeonly
2>some file name". I did. The output did not have any errors.

I did notice on another console that there was an error about "non
present SYSVMSG". Recompiled my kernel with SYSVMS (FreeBSD). Now
there is no error, but I still can not use Xfree from other users.

I tried using fvwm2 instead of kde and it doesn't work either.
Before adding SYSVMG KDEhelp was doing a core dump, but not after
adding SYSMSG. Fvwm2 core dumps even after adding SYSVMSG.

The only thing I know to have changed was that when I first installed
Xfree the rights were not correct and there were a number of things
which regular users did not have access to. Found a couple of scripts
to recursively chmod to 755. I did this only on the KDE directories
and not on Xfree.

Other than running X -probeonly anything else that can be done to
troubleshoot?

How can I check if I correctly added SYSVMSG on the kernel? I also
added SYSVSEM in case KDE was looking for that.

What I don't understand is if root works why another user doesn't.