Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 05:13:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      AG <ag@ipfw.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Write errors on UDMA drives

Hello,

I am running FreeBSD 4.0 with two UDMA drives. One is a 8 gig Maxtor
running at UDMA/33 and the other is a 40 gig Maxtor running at
UDMA/66. When I try to do large writes to either drive, gunzip'ing a large
file, sorting a large file, or any other type of intensive writing to the
drive, I get the following errors repeatedly:

Apr 22 05:02:40 37 /kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 13597744
retrying

On the 8 gig drive, this will continue without any real effects, but on
the 40 gig drive, it will go so far as to halt/reboot my machine. I have
checked dmesg, and there doesn't appear to be any IRQ conflicts. Has
anyone else run across this, or possibly know what is going on? Any help
will be appreciated.

Thanks,

AG