Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:52:47 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>, "John Turner" <john@drexeltech.com>
Cc:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Cable modem ISP keeps timing out

Hi -

FYI, I have the Toshiba PCX1100 DOCSIS Cable Modem
(http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/products/pcx1100.html).

I had to call them and add the MAC for my firewall's external NIC (for me
its rl0) to their database.  For grins, I also added the MAC for my primary
workstation (normally firewalled and NAT'ed), in case I ever had to connect
in an emergency without my firewall.

In a pinch, you can use 'ifconfig ep0 down' followed by 'ifconfig ep0 up'
as root to get back online, without having to do a reboot/shutdown.  I
believe this renews your lease (gurus please correct me as needed),
however, if they don't have the MAC in the database, you may find your
lease expiring quicker than normal.  I tried clocking the expiration, and
it was all over the place, sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 8 minutes.  Now
that they have the MAC address in their db, the lease seems to have settled
down a bit, though I haven't tracked it since.

Also, a rogue MAC trying to connect is probably causing a small amount of
havoc elsewhere on their network, with IP address conflicts and such.

HTH

- John Turner