Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:14:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6.2 installworld fail

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> Hi list.
>
> During the last 10 days or so, I have been unable to update any of my
> machines using the cvsup and make buildworld procedure.
> The machines are PII, dual Celeron, dual PIII and a few AMD's, all high
> quality machines with plenty of ram, and they all fail.
>
> Some output from my last attempt.
> Make buildworld is succesfull, but only a few seconds into make
> installworld I get this:
>
> ===> bin/rmail
> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   rmail /bin
> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 rmail.8.gz  /usr/share/man/man8
> ===> games
> ===> games/adventure
> install -c -s -o root -g games -m 550   adventure /usr/games/hide
> (cd /usr/games; ln -fs dm adventure;  chown -h root:wheel adventure)
> chown: wheel: illegal group name
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/games/adventure.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/games.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> <root@rocky /usr/src>
> Message from syslogd@rocky at Thu Aug 29 16:45:00 2002 ...
> rocky Aug 29 16:45:00atrun[: cannot read /var/at/jobs/
>
> Here it complains about the wheel group, but naturally the wheel group
> exists, so what the error message says cant really be whats causing it
> to fail. As you can see, it immediatly afterwards starts to report some
> weird errors, such as cant read /var/at/jobs, followed by malloc
> failures and similar.
> The only way to recover the machine from this state is to restore from
> backups, rebooting the machine or trying to continue using it will leave
> you with a severely crippled system. Most processes fail with segfault
> or memory allocation errors.
> Ive tried cvsup with tag=RELENG_4, tag=RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE and
> tag=RELENG_4_6_1_RELEASE. Ive tried different cvsup servers and I have
> done make clean, and even deleted /usr/src and /usr/obj. Same result in
> all cases.
>
> uname -a:
> FreeBSD rocky.<domain> 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Mon Aug 19
> 21:05:16 GMT 2002 root@rocky.<domain>:/usr/src/sys/compile/ROCKY  i386
>
> Is the source tree broken right now, or am I doing something wrong?

I think you are doing something wrong. I saw this message and
proceeded to cvsup ports-all and rebuild my system. I had no problem
doing that.

I followed the example in /usr/src/UPDATING on upgrading to
4.x-stable. The test system is not running a kern_secure level and I
boot into single user mode and run "adjkerntz -i" before I mount my
file systems.

I kind of wonder if you have a user games or if you have some sort of
permission problem on your files systems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA