Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:22:24 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall Problem

Justin Stanford <jus@security.za.net> probably said:
> You can kill the portmapper (port 111) in /etc/rc.conf by placing an
> override in there (find the override in /etc/defaults/rc.conf).
>
> Port 6000 is your X server - its best to firewall out 6000.

In this day and age I _strongly_ suggest starting X with '-nolisten tcp'
and using the unix domain socket to talk to the X server. This even
works cleanly with X forwarding over ssh.

This will stop X clients on another machine displaying on your's (unless
you use ssh forwarding) but I never do that anyway ...

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu