Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:14:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark D Smith <msmith@revolution.3-cities.com>
To:        paz@ccstores.com (Jim Pazarena)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up SCSI-DDS tape backup

Try talking to /dev/rsa0 for the rewind on close device and /dev/nrsa0
for the no rewind on close device.

so, if you tar or dump/resore to/from /dev/rsa0, the tape will be rewound
when the operation is completed.  Using /dev/nrsa0, the tape will stay
at it's last position.  /dev/nrsa0 is good for putting multiple archives
on the same tape.

Mark

> I have a DDS-III drive in my FreeBSD 3.2 box. During boot up, the
> kernel recognizes the drive, refers to it as sa0, and boots as expected.
>
> But I don't have a "/dev/sa0" and don't know how to access my tape
> unit.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> --
> Jim Pazarena     mailto:paz@ccstores.com
>                  http://www.qcislands.net/paz

For sale:

1978 VW Van, Champaign Edition, 13,000 miles on new engine
	  with fuel injection. $2500

To see pictures and contact information go to
http://www.3-cities.com/~msmith/vw.html

UNIX IS user friendly, it's just very choosy about who it calls a friend!