Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:54:51 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, andrew@ugh.net.au
Subject:   Re: FTP installation from the floppies through ADSL modem with PPPoE or PPTP  protocol.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:45:03 -0800
Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org> wrote:

> Randy Pratt wrote:
> > Darren wrote:

> >>If you need the machine to do PPPoE, ppp supports PPPoE.  For this to
> >>work, though, you need netgraph, which isn't in GENERIC.  You will need
> >>to make a custom kernel and build your own set of custom floppies.
> >
> > Happily, kernel configuration is no longer necessary for PPPoE. If the
> > necessary netgraph support is not built into the kernel, it will be
> > dynamically loaded by ppp (See handbook section on PPPoE).
>
> Yes, but with floppies, the kernel modules aren't available, are they?
> Am I missing something?

Like you, I don't see any modules on the floppies but they do indeed
support PPPoE.  I'm not sure how the magic works but I'm assuming that
the support is built into the GENERIC kernel.  Perhaps one of our kernel
gurus could shed a bit more light on this.

I have installed both 4.7-R and 5.0-DP1 using the two floppies and
PPPoE/FTP.  It would be nice if this were a menu option of Sysinstall
but very few people have a real need for this method.  Typically, those
with broadband will download and burn an installation cdrom.

My apologies for not being able to answer more definitively.

Randy