Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 22:18:31 -0400
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libh src/ import

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> On 06-Sep-01 Alexander Langer wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > How are peoples feelings about an import of libh into our src tree,
> > in order to push the development?
>
> As I said on IRC in an opinion that no one else seems to share, libh is useful
> in a wider regard than just FreeBSD, and I think it should be a separate
> project that gets vendor imported into src/contrib.  Let's face it guys,
> FreeBSD doesn't have a lot of GUI people running around, and if libh is going
> to fly, it needs developers.  IMHO, the best way to get developers for it is to
> not make it look like some FreeBSD-only thing, but instead to make it inviting
> to other developers.
[snip]

FreeBSD is more than just a kernel, you know.  I don't think we should
artificially limit ourselves by your imagination.

Obviously Alex wants to get libh to work as FreeBSD's installer before
meeting the world's needs, so I think a fully intregrated (lib,
usr.sbin) approach is probably best.  If at a latter time, Alex feels
libh's goals would be better served outside the resources of the
FreeBSD project, we can certainly start vendor importing it then.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft