Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:14:27 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Patrik Kudo" <kudo@partitur.se>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shutdown and power-cut

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:39:41 +0100, Patrik Kudo wrote:

>I've just found out that we're going to have a power-cut this night, so
>I'm going
>to make the servers here shutdown before that. That's easy. Now concern
>now is
>that the power might go up and down several times during the 4 hours the
>"power
>cut", and that will make the servers go up and down just as many times.
>Unfortunately I can't be here (with the servers) at the time of the
>powercut,
>so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the servers shut down for the
>entire
>4 hour period, even if the power comes back up for a while during that
>time.
>
>Is there any "standard" way to do this? If not, would it be a good idea
>write a script that is run early in the startupphase that checks the
>current
>time, compares it with a given time and shutdowns the computer if the
>current
>time is less than the given time?

Ideas:
1. Pull the power plug and plug it back in tommorrow when you come in?
2. Put X10 controllers on each server and get an X10 controller with
either a timer or dial-in capability?
3. Buy the low tech timers used to control pool pumps, etc?

This email may be way too late, I didn't see it last night...

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.