Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:15:13 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Updating software

I have a list of packages that I've compiled and installed from ports,
which are now outdated. Last night, I started a Compile Fest to update
all of them, but aborted due to complications.

Certain packages are easy to update, since I can just remove the old
package and build the new one. However, packages with a lot of
dependencies (like GTK) cannot be removed without hacking up
/var/db/pkg.

I want to replace packages which have dependencies, but I don't want to
bother fooling with /var/db/pkg, and I definitely to not want to
uninstall packages that depend on what I want to rebuild. Is there a
good way to replace a package?

I've tried pkg_update, but somebody told me that was beta, and in any
event, it can't locate warnings.pm (because I don't have that file
anywhere).

Thanks.
--
Andrew Hesford