Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:33:10 -0700
From:      Hampton Maxwell <maxwell@101freeway.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple core dumps & crash

We have a FreeBSD 4.0 Release box running Big Brother and mrtg
monitoring.  I went on it last night and noticed a hung process and
checked syslog, finding multiple entries that looked like this:

Jun 21 23:47:25 gopher /kernel: pid 40433 (head), uid 0: exited on
signal 10 (core dumped)
Jun 21 23:52:34 gopher /kernel: pid 42709 (head), uid 0: exited on
signal 10 (core dumped)
Jun 21 23:57:42 gopher /kernel: pid 44962 (bbnet), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)
Jun 21 23:57:44 gopher /kernel: pid 45428 (grep), uid 0: exited on
signal 10 (core dumped)
Jun 21 23:57:45 gopher /kernel: pid 45539 (sh), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)

I killall'ed head and a runaway copy of perl and the machine went
down.  The machine went back up after an fsck, but almost immediately
after going from single to multi-user all the processes on the box
begin core dumping, including repeatedly killing getty.  After about a
minute the machine panics on some sort of mem_swp error (didn't get
the whole error).
The machine is a K6-2 450 with 32 megs of ram that had been running
fine for about 11 days prior to the 21st, since it accidentally was
powered off.  Prior to that it had been fine for over a month.
Anyone have any idea what sort of hardware problem might be causing
this.  I'd rather not pop in a new drive and find out I've got a fried
board or bad ram.

Thanks,
Hampton Maxwell
--