Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 04:09:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Subject:   Re: xl networking not working any more!

Sent: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:12:22 -0500 (CDT) Mike Silberstat

+ Oh.  Hmmm.  Well, the patches were meant to address the
+ possible problem that the network card would not detect what
+ it was attached to, and all communication would fail.  If
+ you didn't have that problem, then there is no need to test
+ the included patches.

    Hey, at least we know the patches work, and do no harm!

+ As for the random harvest problem... you should probably
+ talk to Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, that's his area of
+ expertise.  I don't know enough about how those scripts work
+ to give useful advice.

    No problem; I already scoped out the bottom line on it
    and it works as advertised.

    As to the reset problem, if you call ifconfig with its
    parameters, it 'restarts' the interface which wipes out
    the default routing; the solution being to move the
    command so it only comes around once. That is something
    which probably should be stated in the manual, etc. so
    others do not spin their wheels.

+ Thanks for taking the time to apply the patches, I'm sorry
+ that I didn't read your original problem report more
+ closely.

    Least of the problems; glad to be of assistance, even if
    limited. It was a good exercise --it forced me to track
    down the real --and much simpler-- issue. One down, more
    to go.

	attila!