Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:23:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BETA problems...

> > > Actually, you could MD5 the first N sectors of the disk using both VM86()
> > > I/O and kernel I/O, and if the MD5 matched, you've found your drive.
> >
> > Given that we've established that disk I/O via our vm86 interface is
> > problematic (you were part of this discussion, remember?), this is a
> > non-possibility.  It'll have to be done by the bootstrap.
>
> I was, but I don't rememebr why it was problematic.  I remember that
> there were issues specific to the attempted implementation, and
> which I thought were architectural issues not related to whether or
> not the access method was a good idea.  My take on it was "If it
> can be done by Microsoft engineers, it can be done by FreeBSD engineers".

It appears that it would involved bogotising our interrupt handling
structure.  I don't believe we're willing to take that penalty, so you
can effectively write off any hope of vm86-based disk I/O from the
kernel.

> > > If you have two drives that MD5 the same, tweak an unused portion
> > > of one of them using VM86() I/O and see which one got tweaked using
> > > kernel I/O, and, again, you've found your drive.
> >
> > Define "unused".
>
> Assuming that VM86() is an issue, the bytes in the cylinder following
> the disklabel and boot sector, whose end is identifiable by 0xaa55.

... where our bootstrap lives?  Where the NT bootstrap lives?

> Alternately "anything that won't interfere with me booting, and
> which I will know to put back later".  For example, if we allowed
> FreeBSD to boot off both an 0xa5 partition type and another partition
> type, then the partition type could be toggled to one or the other
> without affecting the bootability of FreeBSD.

There's probably a junk field somewhere, sure.