Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2000 12:25:15 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should -mieee-fp equal fpsetmask(0) to avoid SIGFPE on FreeBSD?

In message <20000104121459.A8959@cons.org>,
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> wrote:

>Hence it is good to trap this and it is a bug in Mozilla, period.
>I think we might discuss lowing the traps so that the softer
>exceptions are disabled. But most cases where people cry about
>FreeBSD's behaviour are serious errors like the one in mozilla, so we
>won't gain much.

I agree that it appears that the Mozilla code had a serious bug/flaw,
and that having the FP traps enabled caused that fact to become
apparent.

But the issue for me is still one of standards conformance.  Regardless of
how helpful enabled FP traps may be, on occasion, for certain programs
and/or certain programmers, the IEEE 754 standard is pretty darn clear
and unambiguous regarding what the default setting should be, i.e. all
traps disabled.