Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 10:47:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Darren Davis <DARREND@novell.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP... - Reply

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Darren Davis wrote:

> Don't forget that it is but a short hop from Solaris/x86 ELF binaries to
> UnixWare 2.x ELF binaries.  UnixWare is going to be the future direction
> for SCO, so having the ability to run these binaries would be excellent!
>  Besides, I have many of them I want to run.
>
> Darren R. Davis
> Senior Software Engineer
> Novell, Inc.

One problem with all this, before everyone gets too excited!  :-) Unlike
SCO or BSDI, where many programs are statically linked, nearly all SVR4
commercial software uses multiple shared libraries.  This means that in
the beginning, you will need to buy a copy of Solaris/x86 and/or UnixWare
to get the shared libraries you need.  This shouldn't be a problem for
someone who works at Novell :-) and Solaris/x86 is available at
substantial educational discount (ask your college bookstore!).

Hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, we will be able to map the SVR4
API directly to our own libc with stub shared libs, and eliminate the
requirement for actual SVR4 libraries, but not now.  At any rate, I'm glad
to see there is big interest in getting SVR4 emulation added to FreeBSD,
and it's fortunate that there is active maintainance of NetBSD's SVR4 code
that we will be stealing, er, using..  :-)

---Jake