Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:12:16 PDT
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
Cc:        davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au (David Nugent), hmmm@alaska.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spanning

> David Nugent wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, hmmm wrote:
> >
> > >is there a simple method to span floppies (like pkzip &)
> > >when cp-ing and/or tarballing?
> >
> > tar/gzip + split.
>
> Try 'tar cvMLf 1435 /dev/rfd0a directory'.  Works just fine.
> To unarchive it, do 'tar xvMLf 1435 /dev/rfd0a'.

I've had problems with that...If your media isn't "perfect", this fails.
Also, the -W flag (which I use all the time) conflicts with the -M option.

I use split, make floppy sized chunks, then tar each chunk to a floppy with
the -W option...then I cat them together after I untarred them.

Its saved a lot of aspirin.

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com