Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:04:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        "Eric A. Griff" <eagriff@global2000.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get `.' off of root's path

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> >   In both cases, su
> > complains about relative components in the path, whether they are there or
> > not.  I'm going to check the su code.
>
> No need.  Either 1) turn on your brain first :-))) (and think about
> the sequence, and about which PATH su(1) can examine at all), or 2) go
> back and re-read my followup in this thread.
>
> Finally, you'll end up with either removing the dot from the PATH of
> the invoking user (_NOT_ of the _invoked_ user!), or you gotta live
> with the warning (or you hack su to no longer warn you...).

Perhaps, Joerg, but this is occurring on my newly booted smp machine, with
roots login, not even using su (on the console).  I checked $PATH and
$path, and "." isn't in there.  I keep on getting the message that the
path has relative components.  Could this mean that there are some
relative symlinks involved?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |