Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 22:01:55 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rescanning SCSI-Bus without Rebooting?

Julian Elischer:
 |if your scanner is uk0 then it has already been found and no
 |amount of reprobing will write a driver for it.

I'm pretty green with SCSI internals so please bear with me :-)

uk0 (the Microtek E6 SCSI Scanner) is found when I boot with the scanner
on.  It is "not" found I boot with the scanner off.

That's the whole reason I need that unit rescan to work.  I want to avoid
leaving the scanner on all the time (shortens lamp life), and I'd rather
not reboot (to configure uk0) everytime I have a need to use it.  I hope
that makes sense.

 |uk stands for "unknown"
 |there is no scanner driver
 |
 |did it come up as uk0 in the dmesg?

Yes, but only when the scanner is on.

 |if so you ar ewher eyou wnt to be..
 |if not then do as the example you quote says
 |AND USE sd0!

Can I use sd0 (SCSI Disk?) for a SCSI device that reports itself as a
"Scanner"?

 |you cannot use uk0 until IT HAS BEEN FOUND
 |so you need to ask the scsi system via some OTHER scsi device that
 |actually exists.

Ok.  So there's something fundamentally different about the uk driver.  I
assumed (wrongly) that it was a "generic" SCSI driver with a minimal
implementation that could be treated like any other SCSI device for generic
SCSI operations.

So, what device is recommended for use in this case where you want to wire
a known scanner device down?

Thanks,

Randall