Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:23:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_info and 'make install' failures

Hello,

According to
* ports/54407 Newer bsd.port.mk don't work on FBSD 4.6.2 or prior
* ports/54475 due to changes in bsd.port.mk, ports no longer install on
  pre-4.7 releases.
* ports/54561 all ports currently fail on FreeBSD 4.5

it seems quite a few people have problems installing FreeBSD ports,
because port installation has started using pkg_info's -O parameter. I
have also been affected, though in a slightly different way.

I was suddenly experiencing exactly the same symptoms as described in the
problem reports after having cvsup'ed to the current ports collection.
However, the system was FreeBSD 4.7-p9, which should not have been
affected, as the -O parameter was already built in to pkg_info. I upgraded
the system to RELENG_4_8, to no avail.

It turned out that the problem was an old version of misc/gnomehier. I had
gnomehier-1.0_4 installed, and when trying to debug the situation, I found
the following:

With gnomehier-1.0_4 installed:

%pkg_info -O graphics/sane-backends
The following installed package(s) has graphics/sane-backends origin:
pkg_info: /var/db/pkg/gnomehier-1.0_4/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory

With gnomehier-1.0_4 updated to 1.0_8:

%pkg_info -O graphics/sane-backends
The following installed package(s) has graphics/sane-backends origin:
sane-backends-1.0.12_1

And then all 'make install' commands work flawlessly. The problem with
gnomehier, by the way, is that /var/db/pkg/gnomehier-1.0_4/ was empty
except for the +REQUIRED_BY file.

Does the noted pkg_info error message (which in fact shows up at the
occurence of any non-empty subdirectory of /var/db/pkg that at the same
time has no +CONTENTS file) warrant a problem report? As the message is
not funneled through to the user running 'make install', it is not that
easy to resolve the failing installs...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Are Bryne
--
Communiqué DA                            Office:       +47 22 44 33 99
Postboks 9050 Grønland                   Mobile:        +47 900 22 009