Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 18:08:30 +0100
From:      "John O'Farrell" <john@o-farrell.com>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD on a second hard disk.

At 11:57 05/05/97 -0400, you wrote:
>The SCSI ID of 0 (usually indicated by a switch or jumpers on the
>hardware) should be reserved for the bootable drive.  Set the Seagate as
>SCSI ID 0 and choose unique numbers for the other two devices.  It's
>probably best to make the CD-ROM have a higher number than the jaz drive,
>but I'm not sure it matters at all.
>
>> I could try changing the Adaptec SCSI bios for the Jaz Drive 4 to be the
>> boot drive and then reinstalling FreeBSD? Would this then result in the Jaz
>> being sd0?
>>
>> >X:sd(0,a)kernel
>> >

>Try booting by changing to "sd(1,a)kernel" (or whatever the appropriate
>syntax is).  I think this means the second hard drive (the "1") and the
>first partition (the "a").  This is assuming that the Seagate and the jaz
>drive both have one large partition to support their respective OSes.
>Otherwise, change that partition appropriately.

Hello again,

I've tried a complete reinstallation as above ie after setting the Jaz as
the bootable drive. It does now boot to the Jaz but ends with panic; cannot
mount root.

It gives the boot option of F1 for BSD or F5 second disk but attempts to
boot BSD no matter which is selected. So I have had to use the SCSI bios to
change the boot drive back to the Seagate, which now loads Windows NT.

During installation I noticed;

Disk sd1 Partition Name sd1s1

Part         Mount           Size            Newfs
sd1s1a    /                   32 MB          UFS  Y
sd1s1b    <none>     138 MB         SWAP
sd1s1e    /var             30 Mb           UFS  Y
sd1s1f     /usr           820 MB          UFS  Y

Does this help at all with regard to what I should try entering a the boot:
prompt?
I have tried 0:sd(1,a)/kernel and 0:sd(1,a)kernel without success.

Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
etc.

--