Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:41:08 -0500
From:      craig@2400baud.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NMBCLUSTERS and Kernel config

All,

Im getting ready to go with our FreeBSD production mail server and Ive been
reading that to optimize network mbufs, specify the NMBCLUSTERS options in the
kernel.  Ive read that setting this to a quarter of your physical RAM on this is
the way to go, or devising a number from a mathematical equation based upon your
maximum number of connections at peak (meaning, 800 connections at peak equals
an NMBCLUSTER of 25600, or mathimatical breakdown 800 connections X 32K per
session = 25600KB)

Does anyone have a good way to devise a number for this, or is it really even
needed?  Ive a GB of memory in a Compaq DL320.  The FreeBSD handbook says
typically this is set to 1024 - 4096, adding to my confusion of what I need to
set this to, if anything.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Craig